Thu | Jun 24, 2021

DPP reviewing case against MOCA director following complaints

Published:Wednesday | October 14, 2015 | 9:11 AM
Paula Llewellyn

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Paula Llewellyn, has announced that she is undertaking a review of the case against Deputy Superintendent of Police Jason Anderson who was charged and brought before the courts by Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM).

DSP Anderson, who is a director at the Major Organised Crime and Anti-Corruption Agency, is facing charges of assault at common law and discharging a firearm within 40 yards of a public place.

The DPP says her decision to review the case came after Defence lawyer, Peter Champagnie, and the Clerk of the Courts of the St Catherine Resident Magistrate’s Court raised concerns and referred the case to her office.

Llewellyn says they both have expressed concern about the adequacy and cogency of the evidentiary material submitted by INDECOM.

She says in light of these concerns it is her view that the interest of justice would be best served with a detailed assessment of all the available material.

The DPP disclosed that to date the case file is yet to be completed.

She says a request has been submitted to INDECOM asking investigators to handover all outstanding statements and documents to the Office of the DPP by the end of the week.

The charges against DSP Anderson stem from an incident which occurred on Wednesday December 19, 2013 at about midnight in the Caribbean Estate Community, in Portmore, St Catherine.

It is alleged that about midnight on December 19, 2013 three men were seen by residents in an abandoned building in Caribbean Estate in St Catherine.

Residents approached the men and during a confrontation Anderson came on the scene and made enquiries.

It is alleged that he pulled his firearm and pointed it at the men.

The men allegedly ran from the scene, went into a motor car and drove off.

The car reportedly collided in an embankment.

It is further alleged that Anderson fired shots in the air.

The complainants made a report to the police and INDECOM subsequently took over the case.

DSP Anderson was granted bail on Monday and is to return to the court on November 6.