Sat | Oct 1, 2022

Forensic lab called in as search continues for St Ann four

Published:Thursday | November 19, 2015 | 10:12 AM

Superintendent Wayne Cameron, head of the St Ann police, said the forensic lab has been called in to assist as the search continues for four persons missing since fire destroyed a house at which they were staying in the Arthurs Mount area of Lime Hall, St Ann, on Saturday.

The four are 57-year-old Joseph Lynch, his nephew Lascelles Lynch, 43, Ruth Lawrence, 50, and her niece, seven-year-old Rimeka Haynes.

One source told The Gleaner that Lawrence lives in Brown's Town and was visiting Joseph, with whom she had a relationship, taking her niece with her.

Joseph, a farmer, is of dark complexion, slim build and about 5 feet 9 inches tall; Lascelles is of dark complexion, slim build and is also about 5 feet 9 inches tall; Ruth is of dark complexion and slim build. No description of Rimeka was given.

Cameron said the search has, so far, failed to unearth any clues as to the location of the four.

"We are continuing the search," Cameron told The Gleaner. "We have invited the forensic lab to come in."

Efforts to get an update on investigations into the cause of the fire, from the fire department, were unsuccessful as Senior Deputy Superintendent Anthony Hinds was said to be in a meeting when The Gleaner checked.

The police said arson is suspected but are awaiting the report from the fire department.

Cameron said the 60-acre property on which the two-storey house is located would take up to a week to be completely searched.

He said the search of the property began within a quarter-mile radius of the house but has spread further afield.

Cameron added that the search team is looking for caves or holes, or other sites, where it is possible to hide bodies.

Residents have been assisting with the search but the police is appealing to anyone who might have information relating to the incident to inform the police.

According to reports, residents discovered the house on fire at about 3:30 Saturday morning and alerted the fire department as well as the police.

The four persons have not been seen since then.

It is still unclear whether anyone was in the house when the fire started. Combing through the rubble after the fire has failed to offer any clue.