Fri | Oct 7, 2022

Ask the doc | My father refuses to take mom to the doctor

Published:Monday | June 27, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Q: My mother is not well and my father will not take her to the doctor. He is using herbal medicines. Can we get someone to make him take mom to the doctor?

A: Do you have a close family member or friend who you can share your concerns with? You may tell the guidance counsellor at your school or your church pastor. They will help you.

Q: My son did well in GSAT, but wants to go to an all-boys school. How is the process for transferring him?

A: I recommend that you visit the school you are interested in and speak with the administrators. They will guide you.

Q: I love baking and am considering a career change. My children are young and my friends are saying that it is not the time to take chances. What should I do?

A: Sit with a financial adviser and start your idea if it is practical. You can start small and build as you see growth. Always follow your dream, while being realistic and honest about what you are doing. Remember to make plans for spiritual and fun activities with your family.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to 'Ask the Doc', c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!