Fri | Sep 17, 2021

PICA Corner | Applying for citizenship for my Nigerian child

Published:Tuesday | August 23, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Q:Can I apply for Jamaican citizenship for my adopted child? She is Nigerian.

A: Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Yes, you may apply for citizenship for your adoptive daughter. Assuming your daughter is a minor (below 18 years of age), you would apply for Registration of a Minor as a Citizen of Jamaica.

Registration is a citizenship category that is granted to persons under the age of 18 years.

To apply for this you should obtain Registration Form R4 from the Jamaica Printing Service, 77 1/2 Duke Street, Kingston, and from our website at and fill it out.

The form must be completed by the parent (in this case, her adopted parent) and signed in the presence of a justice of the peace or notary public or someone authorised to administer oaths.

Additionally, you will need two references to support the application. These references should be Jamaicans by birth and should not be a civil servant, a relative, a lawyer or an agent of the applicant.

After satisfying the above, you would then submit your application along with your daughter's birth certificate, her passport as well as your passport and marriage certificate, if applicable, and parents' birth certificate. You must also present the document which confirms the legal adoption of the child. If your daughter is of school age, you will be required to submit a letter from the school she attends to confirm her enrolment. You will also need two passport photographs of the child, certified by a justice of the peace, a notary public or someone authorised to administer oaths.

Registration of minors attracts a fee of $20,000. Due diligence is usually completed within 24 months to facilitate a decision on the application.

For further information, visit our website at: For enquiries please write to: Like our Facebook page at