Sun | Jan 16, 2022

Immigration Corner | Declaring your cash

Published:Monday | June 19, 2017 | 12:00 AM

Dear Mr Bassie,

I plan on travelling to the United Kingdom and then on to Europe. Are there any rules with respect to taking cash in and out? I would greatly appreciate any advice that you can give me.

- T.G.

Dear T.G.,

There are rules relating to taking cash in and out of the United Kingdom. If persons are travelling in the European Union and if they are taking cash to the United Kingdom from another European Union country, they do not need to declare it. However, persons may need to declare cash that they take in to other European Union countries. It is advisable that checks are made with the authorities in the country that is being travelled to.

When persons are travelling outside the European Union, they must declare cash of €10,000 or more, or the equivalent in another currency if this amount is taken between the United Kingdom and any non-European Union country.

The term 'cash' includes notes and coins; bankers' drafts; and cheques of any kind, including travellers' cheques. If persons are travelling as a family, they will need to declare cash over €10,000.

Please be aware that there will be no change to the rights and status of European Union nationals living in the United Kingdom or United Kingdom nationals living in the European Union, while the United Kingdom remains in the European Union.

Please note also that prior to travelling and in order to declare cash-persons should take the following steps: Download and fill in form C9011 or get a copy at the port or airport; make a copy. please be aware that if the form is filled in at the port or airport, it will automatically make a carbon copy; leave a copy in the drop-box at the port or airport and keep the other to show custom officers.

With respect to penalties, persons could face a penalty of up to £5,000 if they do not declare their cash or if they give incorrect information. In such a situation, the declared cash can be seized by customs officers if they have reasonable grounds to suspect a crime. In addition, they can keep the cash for 48 hours, after that they will need a court order.

I hope this helps.

- John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-Law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (UK). Email: