Thu | Jan 20, 2022

Immigration Corner | How to get a Canadian work permit in two weeks

Published:Monday | June 19, 2017 | 12:00 AM

Dear Ms Powell,

I am a restaurant manager here in Jamaica. I recently met a director of a charity in Canada who was on vacation here in Jamaica. He has been searching for a good manager and a handyman to work with his organisation and has not been able to find anyone. He said that if I can get a work permit by the end of the month, he would be happy to hire me. Can you please tell me how to get a work permit quickly? He sent me a written job offer and said I just need to let him know if there is anything else I need to submit. My boyfriend is a carpenter. Can we submit our application together? Can you please respond quickly to my questions, as I would love to take up this opportunity?

- M.M.

Dear M.M.,

Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) can process most temporary work permit applications submitted through the Global Skills Strategy within two weeks. The work permit will be employer specific. That means that you must work for that particular charity for the entire period of time granted, or apply to change the terms of your work permit if you wish to change your job.

Also, you will be required to demonstrate to a visa officer your commitment to return to your home country when the visa expires and that you will obey the laws of Canada, if granted entry.

To qualify, you will need to demonstrate that your particular job is one that is exempt from the requirement to produce a Labour Market Impact Assessment report. Also, your job must be classified as a managerial or professional job and listed as skill type 0 or A under the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) in order for your application to expedited.




You should note that both you and the charitable organisation will be required to submit and application to IRCC.

IRCC requires proof that you have the education and experience in order to carry out the duties of this job. Therefore, you should include a copy of your educational certificates as evidence that you have completed a college/ university or other programme related to hospitality or food and beverage service management. You will also need a letter from your current/ previous employers to show that you have several years of experience in the food service sector and that you have served in a supervisory/ managerial position.

If you and your boyfriend are living together in a common-law relationship for over a year, then you may submit your application together. However, if you are not in a common-law relationship and merely dating, you will need to submit the application independently. The perspective employer is required to provide evidence that the charitable organisation is registered in Canada. The employer is required to submit an offer of employment using the Employer Portal and pay the employer compliance fee to IRCC.

Once you have confirmation that your employer has satisfied the requirements, then you may apply online for the work permit.

You should also submit your biometrics, and up-to-date medical and police records with the application. You must identify that you are applying under the Global Skills Strategy in order for your application to be dealt with on a priority basis. If you fail to submit a complete application, with all the required forms and documents, then your application will be processed within the regular processing time.

- Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public. Submit your questions and comments to or call 613.695.8777, or find her on