Tue | Nov 30, 2021

Peter Vogel Murder Trial: Investigator contradicts colleague about crime scene

Published:Thursday | June 22, 2017 | 12:00 AM
Slain lecturer Dr Peter Vogel.

Livern Barrett, Senior Gleaner Writer

A police inspector today gave evidence in the Dr Peter Vogel murder trial that appear to contradict the testimony of the lead investigator in the killing of the university lecturer.

Inspector Christopher Anderson, who was one of two police scenes-of-crime personnel dispatched to Vogel's St Andrew home after his body was discovered, testified that the bed in the helper's quarters appeared dishevelled.

"The helper's room was more disorganised than the other rooms and two sheets were also observed on the floor," said Anderson, as he was led through his evidence by lead prosecutor, Maxine Jackson.

Deputy Superintendent Webster Francis, who was the lead investigator in Vogel's death, had earlier testified that when he visited the crime scene, "the bed in the helper's room appeared as if it had not been slept in."

"There was no pillow case on any of the pillows I saw," Francis had said.

He and government forensic pathologist, Dr S.N. Prasad Kadiyala, had also testified that Vogel’s body was found on its back.

However, today, Anderson testified that Vogel’s body was found lying face down.

Vogel's helper, Yanika Scott and her boyfriend, Kelvin Downer are on trial in the Home Circuit Court in downtown Kingston for killing the former lecturer inside his home in College Commons in July, 2007.

Meanwhile, Anderson testified that latent impressions or fingerprints were found inside the study room where the body of the former lecturer was found.

He said, like in all cases, the fingerprints were sent to the police automated fingerprint identification system and cross-checked against the criminal database.

"To the best of my knowledge no identification was made," he testified, adding that other areas of the house were processed for fingerprints but none was found.

Anderson also recounted that he twice processed Vogel's motor vehicle after it was found by the police abandoned in a parking lot along Beechwood Avenue in St Andrew.

He said the exterior of the vehicle was processed on the first occasion, but no fingerprint was found.

On the second occasion, Anderson said fingerprints were found in three areas inside the vehicle, but again no identification was made.

He, however, corroborated Francis' testimony that there was no sign of forced entry at Vogel's home.