Wed | Oct 5, 2022

Immigration Corner | Do I qualify?

Published:Monday | July 24, 2017 | 12:00 AM

Dear Ms Powell,

I am an administrative assistant in Jamaica and I am interested in applying to be a permanent resident of Canada. I was told that admin assistant is not on the list of professions who would be accepted. Is this true? I have a degree but just haven't had any better opportunities. Plus, I enjoy working at this company, and the salary is good. My husband is a graphic designer and has his own little business. How can we qualify to go to Canada?

- CE


Dear CE,

The express entry system does not have a strict occupation list. However, Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) uses the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) system to classify jobs/ occupations based on the work an applicant does, as well as the job duties. Every applicant will need to have a job letter that outlines the number of hours worked per week, salary, date of employment and job duties. For self-employed individuals, evidence of contracts, tax returns and registration of business are some of the proof required.

For immigration purposes, jobs that fall under skill type 0, A and B are accepted into the pool and based on the individual's overall comprehensive ranking score, an invitation to permanent residence is given.

Skill type zero (0) are usually management jobs such as senior government managers, restaurant managers, human resources managers, advertising and public relations managers, mining managers, financial managers and administrative managers. These individuals will be required to provide proof of education and work experience as evidence that they are qualified for the position.

Skill level A are usually professional jobs that require a degree from a recognised university. These are lawyers, doctors, registered nurses, dentists, architects, pharmacists, engineers, financial auditors and accountants.

Skill level B are technical jobs and skilled trades that usually call for a college diploma or training as an apprentice. This would include most supervisors, graphic designers, administrative assistants, executive assistants, insurance adjusters, claims adjusters, legal assistants, practical nurses, paralegals, broadcast technicians, customs, shipping and other brokers, skilled trades such as chefs, plumbers, electricians, hairstylist and barbers.

Skill level C and D are intermediate jobs that usually require a high-school and/or job-specific training. This include housekeepers, home support workers, caregivers, butchers, drivers, food and beverage servers, labour jobs such as fruit pickers, cleaning staff and oilfield workers. Individuals under this category would only qualify if they have a job offer or provincial nominee. The Atlantic Immigrant Programme is a good pathway to receiving permanent residence for individuals with work experience and training under skill type C.

The express entry system is points-based. This means that individuals will need to maximise their points under the language category. You and your spouse will be required to sit the IELTS, general training examination. A minimum score of 8.5 in each category will yield the maximum points for language. You will also need to show that have the required settlement funds. For example, for a married couple, a bank statement showing a minimum of approximately CDN$15,500 will be required. If you have two children, you will be required to show approximately CDN$23,000.

You will also be required to pass the medical and criminal checks. Once you are able to satisfy these requirements, you should be granted a permanent resident status within six months.

- Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator, and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada Bars, with office located in Ottawa, Ontario. Her areas of practice are immigration, real estate, commercial, family and administration of estates. Email: subject line: immigration; call 613-695-8777.