Fri | Sep 17, 2021

Ask the Doc | I'm concerned about my grandson

Published:Monday | July 31, 2017 | 12:00 AM

Q: My son got married to a European and they wish to send their child to Jamaica for high school. I am concerned that my grandson will not manage well being away from his family. Should I share this with my son's wife?

A: You should probably share this concern with your son first. Find the reasons for the plan to have your grandson study in Jamaica. Is it that he is athletic and they think that he will get a good foundation here? Engage your son and your daughter-in-law in a discussion and discuss the pros and cons of such a decision.

Q: My daughter went overseas to live with her aunt because we could no longer control her wild behaviour. Now her aunt wants to send her back. Is there a boarding school where we may place her?

A: Before considering a boarding school, your family needs to get to the root cause of the matter why your daughter is not behaving appropriately. Placing her in a boarding school without psychological and counselling support may not be the best plan for her. You may contact the Ministry of Education for a list of schools that offer boarding facilities.

Q: I want to travel the world now that my children are teenagers. I have no plans to take them with me. Am I being selfish?

A: Nothing is wrong with you having some time for yourself. It would be nice though, if possible, to take your children with you on some of those trips.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist.

Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always.