Tue | Oct 19, 2021

A Matter of Land | How do I get my name on the Valuation Roll?

Published:Friday | August 17, 2018 | 12:00 AM
Craig Francis

Good day, readers,

Today we will respond to another of your questions.

Hello, sir,

I'm S-K A from St Elizabeth. My parents have been living on a piece of land for the past 17 years. It was left in their care by the owner. We were very thankful at the time, so we did whatever we could for him.

A few years ago, I asked him about the payment of the land taxes and how much was owed. He explained that it was well over 30 years he had not paid any land tax.

How do I go about paying the taxes and have it in my name as owner? He has already told my siblings and I that we can do whatever we want with the land. So am I doing the right thing? I need your advice.

Good day S-K A,

This is a good question as many persons find themselves in a similar situation.

First, the more than 30 years that he has not paid any property tax is not good, but you are required to pay only the last seven years of the taxes as the Limitation of Actions Act prevents any action to be taken for taxes owed beyond the seven years. As for getting your name on the Valuation Roll to pay the taxes, it is an easy process once the person who is gifting you this privilege is still alive.

He, the registered land owner, needs to fill out two TR1 (change of possession) forms that are available on the National Land Agency (NLA) website. You can also get them at the NLA offices.

One NLA office is located in Mandeville, so you can go there with the gentleman and have possession passed to you on the Valuation Roll.

Both of you will need to carry government-issued identifications and your tax registration numbers to complete the transaction.

You should also consider getting a boundary survey done for the property. This will help you to definitively demarcate the property and provide a diagram that will be able to assist you in obtaining a registered title.

This would also regularise the actual acreage for the property on the Valuation Roll.

Until next time, traverse well.

- Craig Francis is a commissioned land surveyor and managing director of Precision Surveying Services Ltd. He can be contacted for questions or queries at craig_r_francis@yahoo.com or Precision Surveying Services.