Sat | Dec 2, 2023

Immigration Corner | Is it possible to regain British nationality after renouncing it?

Published:Monday | December 3, 2018 | 12:00 AM

Dear Mr Bassie,

I read your column where you explained the process used to renounce British nationality. I would like to know if it is possible to regain British nationality having renounced it. I am hoping that you respond to my query.


Dear HT,

In some cases, it is possible to resume British nationality after renouncing it. In making an application, persons can either apply online or apply by post. When applying by post, the application form RS1 must be downloaded from the GOV.UK website and completed.

It is worth noting that applicants can get help completing the online form if they do not feel confident using a computer or do not have access to one. The contact details for help in completing the online form is:

Text: 'VISA' to 07537 416 944

Telephone: 03333 445 675

Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Persons should find out about call charges before calling and should also be aware that they cannot get immigration advice through this service.

The applicant will also need to provide certain supporting documents. He/she will need to provide a copy of the declaration of renunciation, that is either form RN1 or R6. He/she will also need to have a passport or certificate of naturalisation or registration for their current citizenship or nationality. In addition, those persons will need to provide an official letter or statement from the country that they are currently a citizen or national of, saying that if they had not given up their British citizenship they would have lost or failed to get their current citizenship or nationality.

Please note that if a person gave up United Kingdom and Colonies citizenship, he/she will also need to provide the birth, naturalisation, or registration certificate of the person that he/she has the connection to in the United Kingdom with, and evidence of their relationship to that person, for example a birth, marriage, or civil partnership certificate.




Those persons would also need to show evidence that they gave up citizenship because they believed that they would be deprived of their citizenship of a Commonwealth country unless they did so. This should be a separate letter explaining this, which should be accompanied by any supporting documents

Persons may have to provide different documents if they originally gave up citizenship for a reason other than they had lost or failed to get citizenship of another country. Persons must also provide biometric information, that is, fingerprints and a photo, and the cost for this is £19.20.

Persons must also pay the current fee of £1,206 for registration. Please note that this fee will not be refunded if the application is refused.

The Home Office will tell the applicant when he/she will need to provide his/her biometrics. Persons should be aware that their biometric information is only held until they have attended a citizenship ceremony.

Also, it is advisable that applicants read the RS1 guidance, which is available online, before applying.

I hope this helps.

- John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (UK).