Wed | Jan 26, 2022

Immigration Corner | Replacing a naturalisation certificate

Published:Tuesday | February 26, 2019 | 12:23 AM

Dear Mr Bassie,

I am a naturalised British citizen and I seem to have damaged my certificate. How would I go about replacing this? I need to do this quite urgently.


Dear HR,

Persons must pay a fee to order a replacement registration or naturalisation certificate, or to correct mistakes on a certificate.

How a person orders a certificate will depend on when he/she became a citizen. If a person became a citizen after September 30, 1986, to replace a lost or damaged certificate would cost £250. Those persons can either make an application online or apply by post.

It should be noted that persons can get help completing the online form if they do not feel confident using a computer or do not have access to one. To obtain help completing the online form, persons can get help by contacting the authorities using the following information:

Text: ‘VISA’ to 07537 416 944

Telephone: 03333 445 675

Monday to Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

When persons are applying by post they should download and complete an application for duplicate citizenship certificate; complete the payment slip with the correct fee for a ‘duplicate certificate’ (£250). They can pay by cheque, credit or debit card and send both forms to:

Department 102, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

Department 102


The Capital

New Hall Place


L3 9PP

Please note that persons must tell the police if their certificate has been stolen.

When correcting mistakes on a certificate, a person should download and complete an application for a correction of a registration or naturalisation certificate and send the form and their original certificate to:

Department 1, UKVI.

Department 1


The Capital

New Hall Place


L3 9PP

Those persons will need to pay a £250 fee if the mistake on the certificate was their fault. Please be aware that UKVI will send the applicant a letter informing him/her if they need to pay.

If persons became a citizen on or before September 30, 1986, they can search the National Archives and order a certified copy for a registration certificate issued between January 1, 1949 and September 30, 1986 or a naturalisation certificate issued between January 1, 1844 and September 30, 1986, as the case may be. Please note that persons cannot get a replacement certificate from UKVI if they became British citizens before October 1986. Those persons will need to contact UKVI for help.

All the best.

John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (UK).