Sat | Jan 22, 2022

Uchene Gang Trial | Witness tells how gangsters fired at police during robbery

Published:Friday | March 8, 2019 | 12:00 AM

A former Uchence gang member today detailed how he and his cronies fired at a police team that intercepted them during a farm store break-in in Bog Walk, St Catherine.

The gangster, whose identity cannot be released based on court orders, was continuing his testimony on day four of the Uchence Wilson gang trial in Kingston’s Home Circuit Court.

Since Tuesday, he has been testifying from an undisclosed location via video link.

Wilson and his 23 alleged gang members are on trial for breaches of the anti-gang legislation.

According to the prosecution, sometime after 12 a.m. on a day between June 1 and 30, 2016, Wilson and co-accused Fitzroy Scott, Stephenson ‘Slim’ Bennett, Michael ‘Judge’ Lamont, Keron ‘Tall Man’ Walters, and other men known only as 'B13', 'Juice' and 'Junior' travelled through bushes to the back of the plaza where the farm store was located.

The witness testified that Wilson told him to stay at the rear of the plaza to keep watch of the police station, which he told the court was located across the road.

He said B13 was instructed to go to the other side of the road to watch out for police and other suspicious vehicles.

The witness said that following that, Wilson and Lamont, who were armed, proceeded towards the store, where they used a steel cutter to gain entry to the building.

He said that Wilson returned with a cash register and placed it at the back of the building.

The witness further testified that Wilson then took him into the farm store to help remove bags of chicken feed.

He said the reputed gang leader told him that he wanted to feed the chickens he was rearing at his St Catherine home.

According to the witness, that while they were in the store, they heard a loud noise, and when they went outside to inspect, they saw a marked police Hilux pickup truck entering the premises.

He said someone shouted, “Police!” and they ran into nearby bushes.

The witness said that while he and the other gangsters were in the bushes, they were observing the police.

He also said Wilson became suspicious that the cops were stealing money from the cash register he had placed at the back of the store.

He said that was when the gang leader ordered that the gangsters attack the cops.

“Come mek wi fire pon dem boy yah no,” the witness said Wilson ordered.

He said they then fled the scene.

The former gang member told the court that initially, the plan was to rob an automated teller machine (ATM), but Wilson had said that it would not be possible to remove it and that it would be better for them to rob the farm store.

The witness said that afterwards, the gangsters robbed an elderly man of his phone and money and tasered him.

We want to hear from you! Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169, or email us at or