Bus conductor convicted for stabbing rival to death in dispute over passengers
A bus conductor who stabbed a rival to death in a New Year’s Eve dispute over passengers has been convicted of murder.
Roland Bornstorph was found guilty in the Home Circuit Court earlier this week for stabbing bus conductor Kenroy Smith three times – twice in the chest -- at the Darling Street bus terminus on December 31, 2014.
A jury deliberated for two hours before returning a unanimous verdict in his murder trial.
He is scheduled to be sentenced on May 3 by Justice Vivienne Harris.
Both Bornstorph and Smith worked on buses that operate between Kingston and Ocho Rios, in St Ann.
Prosecutors Andrea Martin Swaby and Rosheide Spence relied on the testimony of an off-duty police sergeant who was a passenger on Smith’s bus to prove their case.
The sergeant testified that Smith refused to allow the bus to leave the terminus, insisting that he would not do so until there were passengers filling up the aisle seats.
He said he and other passengers exited the bus because of the delay and boarded Bornstorph’s bus, setting off an argument between the two conductors.
The policeman said the argument escalated into a “tussle” between the two men, causing him to separate them.
He testified that he reprimanded Bornstorph and instructed him to board his bus and depart for Ocho Rios.
The off-duty sergeant gave evidence that Bornstorph walked away in the direction of his bus, but said within a minute there was a loud commotion in the direction of the area where other passengers had taken Smith.
He said he saw the two conductors again tussling and, on his approach, Smith released his hold on Bornstorph and raised his hands in the air.
The police sergeant said it was at this point that Bornstorph stabbed Smith twice “in the region of the chest.”
He was pronounced dead at hospital.