Mon | Jan 24, 2022

Police commissioner says Chedwin Park investigation 'very complex'

Published:Friday | May 10, 2019 | 1:45 PM
Police Commissioner Major Antony Anderson

Police Commissioner Major Antony Anderson has described as “very complex” the ongoing investigation into the wild, high-speed gunfight between an off-duty policeman and three of his colleagues in St Catherine last month.

However, twelve days after the incident, which ended with the deaths of a police Corporal and a civilian and generated wide public discussion, the top cop today declined to say publicly what he knows about it unfolded.

“I can understand that twelve days in you want some information, and we actually have more, but a think how the investigations is going now it’s very complex,” Anderson said during a press conference at his St Andrew offices.

“It has been so dynamic in terms of as information comes out that I don’t want us to get ahead of ourselves on this, I don’t want to report something unless I’m absolutely sure of it. I think that’s the best way forward with this,” he added.

It alleged that businessman Sheldon ‘Junior Biggs’ Daley was shot to death by three rogue cops during a party in  Chedwin Park, located on the outskirts of Spanish Town on April 28.

According to reports, they attempted to flee the scene in a police-issued Nissan motorcar and were challenged by the off-duty cop who witnessed the incident.

A high-speed chase and gun battle ensued before the Nissan crashed into another vehicle at the intersection of Brunswick Avenue and Job Lane.

Corporal Rohan Williams, one of the three cops in the Nissan, and Burrell, a visitor to the island who was travelling in the other vehicle, were later pronounced dead.

The other two cops, one of whom has been identified as Corporal Kurt Frazer, are now in custody.

Frazer denied that he and the other accused cops had any involvement in Daley’s killing.

He said the businessman was killed by men travelling in a Nissan Tiida motorcar and that he and his colleagues gave chase in their police-issued vehicle before they came under gunfire from men travelling in another vehicle.

Frazer said Williams and Burrell were shot by a man he believed to be a policeman.

Anderson said nearly two weeks after the incident information is still pouring into investigators.

“We are getting more and more information as we go along. There is a lot of aspects to it that have a CIB [Criminal Investigations Branch] component of it, we have an Inspectorate of Constabulary component of it and, of course, there is an INDECOM [Independent Commission of Investigations] component of it,” he said.

“Those three organisations working together will get to the bottom of it and be able to collective release information on it,” Anderson added.

We want to hear from you! Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169, email us at or