Thu | Oct 28, 2021

Permits needed for using fireworks

Published:Tuesday | December 31, 2019 | 10:49 AM
Assistant Commissioner of Police Ealan Powell addressing a recent JIS Think Tank - Contributed photo

As Jamaicans prepare to ring in the New Year, Assistant Commissioner of Police Ealan Powell is reminding persons that special permits must be granted for the use of fireworks.

“Like any other event that you have, setting off fireworks requires written permits. Permits are granted by the Jamaica Constabulary Force in collaboration with the Jamaica Fire Brigade, the health department and the municipal corporation,” he said while addressing a recent JIS Think Tank.

“After doing the necessary assessments, these bodies will decide if fireworks can be set off at the requested location. Whoever you are, you do need the requisite permits to set off fireworks, as it can become a safety issue,” he noted further.

In addition, Powell said that the police have the right to turn off music that is causing a disturbance to residents, regardless of the extended hours granted under the Noise Abatement Act for the holiday period.

“Although there has been a two-hour extension for events under the Noise Abatement Act, the law clearly states that music from events should not be audible from 100 metres. Once the sound is audible from 100 metres, it can be and will be turned off by the police and the event operators may be charged,” he noted.

We want to hear from you! Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169, email us at or