Tue | Jun 22, 2021

Manning teams shine

Published:Saturday | October 18, 2014 | 8:34 PM
Ian Allen/Photographer St Elizabeth Technical's (STETHS) coach Omar Wedderburn (centre) celebrates with his players (from left) Romaine Blake, Tavar McCulloch and Donjay Smith at the National Stadium yesterday. STETHS whipped Denham Town High 5-0 in the LIME Super Cup match.

Manning Cup teams from the urban areas of Kingston and St Andrew and St Catherine held the upper hand over their rural daCosta Cup rivals yesterday in the round of 16 matches in the rich LIME Super Cup.

Camperdown High, Wolmer's Boys, Hydel High and Holy Trinity High won to advance to this weekend's quarter-finals.

Also advancing were daCosta Cup teams St Elizabeth Technical (STETHS) and Garvey Maceo High.

At press time last night Manning Cup glamour team St George's College led Godfrey Stewart High 3-1 at the National Stadium, while in Montego Bay, defending Manning Cup champions Jamaica College and Cornwall College were locked at 0-0.

In Montego Bay, Wolmer's High stormed back from a goal down to eliminate St James High 3-1 after Camperdown easily dismissed Dinthill Technical 3-0.

Kevin Shaw, Ramiesh McKnight and Kevin Clarke were the scorers for Camperdown.

In the Wolmer's-St James clash, Romario Clarke opened the scoring for the daCosta Cup team before Shaquille McKoy found the equaliser as the schools went into extra time locked at 1-1. Jaheel Hyde and Joshaun McNought scored for Wolmer's in extra time.

At the National Stadium, STETHS drubbed Denham Town 5-0.

Donjay Smith (7th), own goal (Kadeem Williams) (41st) and Rushane McClymont (78th), substitutes Javoney Brown (88th) and Romario Allen (90th) were the goalscorers for STETHS.

In the opening game, Hydel edged Old Harbour 1-0 with Stephen Barnett getting the goals in the 46th minute.

At Sabina Park, Holy Trinity recorded a 4-2 penalty kick victory over 10-man Clarendon College.

exciting scoreline

Both teams battled to an exciting 1-1 scoreline at the end of regulation and extra time.

Seigel Knight put Clarendon in front when he scored a well-placed free kick in the 27th. Shamar Smith equalised for Holy Trinity in the 72nd minute.

Clarendon College were reduced to 10 players when Andrew Gutzmore picked up a second yellow card and was ejected by referee Gawayne Scott in the 72nd minute.

In the penalty shoot-out, Holy Trinity's scorers were Tevin Rochester, substitute Jabari Howell and Jevon Miller converted, while Smith missed.

Knight and Oshane Coleman scored for Clarendon College, while Javaan Johnson, Malik Palmer and Roger Russell all failed from the spot.

Holy Trinity goalkeeper Antonio Millington was the hero for his team with two saves in the shoot-out. The 15-year-old denied Palmer and Russell.