Sun | Jun 13, 2021

Clarendon win, but champs drop out title race

Published:Wednesday | November 11, 2015 | 7:18 PMPaul Clarke
Lorenzo Lewin of Lennon High (left) heads the ball as he is challenged by Petersfield High’s Donovan Brown during the ISSA-FLOW daCosta Cup quarter-final football match at Frome Sports Complex yesterday. Lennon won 3-0.


Clarendon College were left with a bittersweet taste in their mouths after defeating Rusea's High 2-0, but still had the daCosta Cup title ripped from their grasp in dramatic fashion, as Dinthill Technical advanced to the semi-finals as group winners with a comprehensive win of their own.

Dinthill made light work of Glenmuir High in yesterday's second match of a double-header at the Juici Field, winning 3-0 to take the top spot with seven points, one better than the outgoing champions, who were hoping for a Glenmuir victory, or a draw in that game to keep their title defence alive.

It was not to be, however, as the north St Catherine-based school eased to what, in the end, was a fine victory, to vindicate the technical staff's early-season belief that they will be among the top schools at the end of the competition and retain a great chance to land their first daCosta Cup title since 1981.


The result is a bitter end to what began as a promising campaign for Clarendon College - under the guidance of Paul 'Tegat' Davis - and although it ended as it began with a win, their opening quarter-final-round loss to this same Dinthill team meant they would have to stage a miraculous comeback.

At Frome Sports Complex, it was Lennon who stole the show with a hard-fought 3-0 win over Petersfield High to advance from Group Q.

Two goals from Rushane Grant in the 20th and 56th minutes, respectively, and a beast of a free kick from Jason Johnson in time added to the second-half propelled the Merron Gordon-coached team into the semis.

"That last goal was beautiful; we played well against this tough Petersfield team and we are proud to have come so far to Westmoreland and win," said Gordon.

"It gets even harder for us now, but we are confident of what we are capable of and we look forward to the semi-finals," Gordon added.

Manchester High also advanced yesterday, edging St James High 1-0 at Jarrett Park to move to six points, thus ending the hopes of the brave Lacovia High, who were held to a 1-1 draw by Paul Bogle High.

Last year's beaten finalists St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) need only a draw in their game later this afternoon at home against Manning's to advance, while Vere Technical will tackle Marcus Garvey High at Wembly Community Field to see which qualify to the last four.

Semi-finalists Manchester, Lennon and Dinthill could be joined by STETHS.

Yesterday's Results

n Manchester 1, St James 0

n Glenmuir 0, Dinthill 3

n Petersfield 0, Lennon 3

n Port Antonio 3, Seaforth 6

n Lacovia 1, Paul Bogle 1

n Clarendon 2, Rusea's 0

Today's games

n STETHS vs Mannings

n Vere vs Marcus Garvey