Sat | May 15, 2021

Champs too close to call

Published:Friday | March 31, 2017 | 12:00 AMRobert Bailey
Calabar's Michael Stephens (centre) and Tyreke Wilson (left) finished first and second respectively in the Class One boys 100m final at the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Athletics Championships at the National Stadium last night.

The battle for the boys' crown at the 2017 ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls'  Championships is going down to the wire.
   A massive 38 points Kingston College lead,  after Thursday's third day, evaporated on day four and the title is now up for grabs on today's final day. KC were predicted to lead by 21 points going today's fifth and final day at the National Stadium but that advantage is now only seven and all the momentum is with Calabar. 
  KC lead the standings with 139 points with Calabar on 132. The top eight is completed by Jamaica College on 98, St Jago High 69, St Elizabeth Technical 40, Wolmer's Boys 39, Petersfield High 31 and Rusea's High 16.
    KC suffered a massive blow in the sprints when Jhevaughn Matherson sustained an injury in winning his Class One 100 metres semi-final. He reported for the final but was disqualified after a false-start.

    More salt was rubbed into KC's wounds when arch-rivals Calabar took maximum points in the event. Michael Stephens won in 10.41 seconds with Tyreke Wilson taking silver in 10.52. The bronze medal went to Washington Brown of Cornwall College in 10.58.     

  The Class Two boys 1500 metres lived up to its billing. Calabar’s Kevroy Venson produced a terrific stretch run to upstage KC’s Ugandan athlete Aryamanya Rodgers to win in a record 3:55.28.

Venson shattered the previous mark of 3:57.28, which was set by Keenan Lawrence of St Jago last year.
Rodgers, the favoutite going into the event, also went below the old mark as he took second in 3:57.02. Venson’s teammate Kimar Farquharson was third in 4:00.13.
Venson was delighted with the record.
  “I feel good about breaking the record. I knew that I would do it because my coach just told me to go out and do my best and so I went out and executed my race,” said Venson.
“I wasn’t worried about him (Rodgers). I knew that I could have beaten him because I trained hard and I am very confident person,” Venson said. 
Rusea’s Ackeen Colley captured the Class One equivalent in 3:53.27. Calabar’s Javon-Taye Williams was second in 3:54.21 while St Elizabeth Technical’s Shemar Salmon took third in 3:65.30.
Calabar had another fine one-two in Class Three long jump. Ncholloyd Brown won with a leap of 6.65m ahead of his teammate Jorfan Turner (6.60m) and Eniola Johnson of Ardenne (6.27m).
Wolmer’s Jeremy Farr captured the first ever Class Two 400m hurdles final in  51.44.   Calabar’s pair of Nicquaine Henry (53.42) and Andre Leslie (52.62) were second and third respectively. 
KC’s Giovouni Henry won the Class Three 1500m final in 4:17.52  while his twin brother Gianni was third in 4:18.32. St Elizabeth Technical’s David Martin took second in 4:18.07.