Fri | Jan 21, 2022

Gunners slam Spurs in North London derby

Published:Sunday | December 2, 2018 | 12:00 AM
Arsenal's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang celebrates after scoring his side's opening goal from the penalty spot during the English Premier soccer match between Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur at the Emirates Stadium in London, yesterday. Arsenal won the game 4-2.


Arsenal scored three goals in the second half to come from behind to beat Tottenham 4-2 in a dramatic North London derby yesterday that saw clashes between players, fans lighting flares and throwing projectiles on to the field, two penalties and a red card.

Arsenal extended their unbeaten run to 19 games.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang converted a penalty in the 10th minute to put the Gunners ahead at the Emirates Stadium. Arsenal then dominated play for most of the first half before Spurs turned around the game with two goals in four minutes for a 2-1 half-time lead.




But Aubameyang equalised in the 56th, with a beautiful curling shot before substitute Alexandre Lacazette and Lucas Torreira sent the home fans into a frenzy with goals of their own in the 74th and 77th. For Torreira, it was his first Arsenal goal since signing from Serie A club Sampdoria over the summer, and he ripped off his shirt and ran to the corner to celebrate. It was a visible indication of how much the match meant to the Arsenal players.

The Gunners moved above their London rivals on goal difference into fourth place in the Premier League with 30 points.

Jan Vertonghen was sent off in the 85th after a second yellow card was shown for a challenge on Lacazette.

Vertonghen picked up his first caution for a handball in the penalty area from a free kick. Aubameyang scored the resulting penalty in the 10th and did a front flip to celebrate his goal and ran towards the Spurs supporters, but he wasn't shown a yellow card.

Arsenal threatened to score more goals in the first half, but their finishing let them down. Spurs then shocked the home crowd, scoring twice in four minutes.

Heung-Min Son won a free kick on the left, with TV replays appearing to show that there was little contact. Christian Eriksen's resulting free kick in the 30th found Eric Dier, whose header beat Arsenal goalkeeper Bernd Leno at his near post too easily for an equaliser.

Dier then ran over to one of the corners to celebrate his goal in front of the home fans, putting his fingers to his lips. A scuffle broke out between Arsenal and Spurs players, with some home fans throwing water bottles and other projectiles onto the pitch. Dier was eventually booked for his goal celebration.

Four minutes later, Son went over in the penalty area and referee Mike Dean pointed to the spot for the second time in the match. Replays again appeared to show that there was little, if any, contact - this time on Son from Arsenal defender Rob Holding - and both sets of players clashed again. But Harry Kane kept his cool and stepped up to the spot to slot the ball home, with Leno diving the wrong way.

But in the end, it was to be Arsenal's day.