Wed | Jan 26, 2022

JC, Wolmer’s players injured in lightning strike - Hydel record solid win over TG in eventful day

Published:Tuesday | September 17, 2019 | 12:00 AMDaniel Wheeler/Gleaner Writer
Rushane Thompson (right) of Wolmer’s and Phillon Lawrence of Jamaica College challenge for the ball during the ISSA/Digicel Manning Cup match-up between Wolmer’s and Jamaica College at Stadium East yesterday. The match had to be called off with eight minutes remaining after a lightning strike reportedly affected five players.

Hydel High bounced back from their loss on Friday to Camperdown with a 2-0 win away to Group D rivals Tivoli Gardens High in the ISSA/Digicel Manning Cup during an eventful day in the competition yesterday.

Midfielder Tryces Simms did the damage for the defending Walker Cup champions, scoring both goals in the first half, including a converted penalty, in a game that saw both teams go on the offensive.

The match was heading towards an abrupt end when lightning was seen in the area in the closing stages of the game, but the referee ended the contest promptly at full-time before the weather conditions deteriorated further.

However, the game between Wolmer’s and Jamaica College (JC) at Stadium East produced frightening scenes after five players went down after reportedly being struck by lightning with just under 10 minutes remaining in the contest.


The match was called off by referee Karl Tyrell, and, after medical treatment at the venue, at least two players were taken to the hospital for additional treatment – Jamaica College player Terrence Francis and Dwayne Allen from Wolmer’s. Allen, along with an unconfirmed second Wolmer’s player, was treated and sent home, while Francis, according to team officials, was responding well but nonetheless admitted.

Meanwhile in Tivoli Gardens, the visiting team enforced their will in the early stages of the game, with Ruben Brown and Ronal Hinds seeing their efforts going slightly over the bar in a prelude of things to come.

Hydel would eventually find the breakthrough in the 16th minute when Jordane Cameron, after some good interchanging play, was taken down in the box and Simms calmly slotted home the resulting spot kick.


Tivoli coach Christopher Nicholas said that the conceded penalty was unfortunate as his team had managed to improve after the early Hydel pressure.

“We didn’t play badly. It was just unfortunate that we conceded the penalty and [it] took us off our game,” Nicholas said.

They conceded again three minutes later after Simms rose high from a free kick to place a great header into the net.

Tivoli had their chances to get back into the game, with Raymond Mason forcing goalkeeper Shaquan Davis into a good save from a free kick in the first half.

They tested Davis again in the second half when a curling shot brought out another great save from the Hydel custodian. Tivoli registered a total of 11 shots, with three of those going target, while Hydel finished with 16 shots with eight on target.