Tue | Oct 19, 2021

Netball tri-nation series doubtful

Published:Thursday | July 29, 2021 | 12:11 AMRobert Bailey/Gleaner Writer
ROBINSON
ROBINSON

Jamaica’s upcoming tri-nation series against South Africa and Caribbean rivals Trinidad and Tobago is now in doubt as Netball Jamaica (NJ) is yet to receive COVID-19 approvals from the Government for the hosting of the event.

The Gleaner has been reliably informed that NJ has had its request for the series, scheduled for September, rejected on several occasions.

It is also understood that South Africa, which has recorded more than 2.3 million COVID-19 cases and in excess of 69,000 deaths, is closely monitoring the situation in Jamaica.

However, when asked if the protocols have been turned down by the Government, NJ President Tricia Robinson denied any knowledge of that.

She said NJ is still working on protocols for the series and will meet with the ministries of health and wellness, and sport about the various protocols for hosting the event.

“I have a meeting with the ministry to go through the protocols because the protocols for that are very tight,” she said. “It will not be in front of spectators or anything like that.”

The Sunshine Girls recently returned to on-court training last month for the first time in more than a year, in preparation for this series, as well as the Commonwealth Games, which will be held in Birmingham, England, next year.

The national senior netball team is also preparing for the 2023 Netball World Cup, which will be held in South Africa.

sports@gleanerjm.com