‘A delicate situation’
JFF targets end of month to install interim Girlz head coach
Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) General Secretary Dalton Wint said that they are hoping to land an interim coach to lead the national senior women’s team by the end of the month. This is while an investigation into the sexual misconduct...
Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) General Secretary Dalton Wint said that they are hoping to land an interim coach to lead the national senior women’s team by the end of the month.
This is while an investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations against Hubert Busby Jr, the team’s head coach, continues. Busby was suspended indefinitely last month pending the results of the FIFA inquiry after former Vancouver Whitecaps player Malloree Enoch accused him of inappropriate behaviour during his time with the Whitecaps women’s team as head coach from 2010-2011.
Wint says that the JFF is in discussions with candidates with a desire to find someone whether foreign or local who will not need to acclimatise, with the FIFA Women’s World Cup qualifiers two months away.
“We have to get someone that is experienced,” Wint said. “We can’t just pick up any coach. It is a delicate situation that we find ourselves in. We cannot get anybody who is coming now to learn on the job. They have to just drop in head first and start working immediately.”
While he was still in charge of the programme, Bubsy said his intent was to have a home camp at minimum to capitalise on the recently concluded international window, the final one before the competition begins in February.
RESHUFFLE IN STRATEGY
Wint said that the allegations caused a reshuffle in strategy to assemble the team before their opener against Bermuda on February 17.
“What has happened has caused us to shelve the plans that we had for November, and now we are revisiting that situation when we can have a camp before we go into action.
“What we will do is to have a pre-camp before we go into the competition and we are trying to get it done.”
The Reggae Girlz have played three international friendlies since returning to competitive action in June against Nigeria, world champions the United States, and most recently Costa Rica in October.
Former national women’s coach Charles Edwards says that another stoppage in the programme will have ramifications regarding their chances to make back-to-back World Cups.
“Not being able to get that November camp up and running will hurt the players and maybe also mentally damaging in terms of, ‘Here we go again (with the inactivity)’. We have been shelved and nothing is going on,” Edwards said.
“Now you have a twofold situation tat you need to get the players back up and in running form and then you have the mental side where the Girlz want to feel important and feel like a part of the federation’s programme going forward. They are going to have a double-edged sword to deal with right now.”
Wint did not give a timeline regarding when the FIFA investigation will be completed, saying that the situation is “out of their hands”. The JFF said that a final decision regarding Busby’s future will be decided based on the outcome.