Sun | Feb 5, 2023

Show’s over already for host Qatar’s World Cup team

Published:Saturday | November 26, 2022 | 12:09 AM
Qatar’s Pedro Miguel gestures after missing a scoring chance during the World Cup Group A  match between Qatar and Senegal, at the Al Thumama Stadium in Doha, Qatar yesterday.
Qatar’s Pedro Miguel gestures after missing a scoring chance during the World Cup Group A match between Qatar and Senegal, at the Al Thumama Stadium in Doha, Qatar yesterday.

DOHA, Qatar (AP):

The show is over already for the Qatar team, which was eliminated yesterday from the World Cup less than a week after it opened the tournament and launched the first version of soccer’s biggest event in the Middle East.

Qatar lost 3-1 to Senegal for their second straight defeat at the World Cup and their exit was confirmed a few hours later, when Netherlands and Ecuador drew 1-1 in the other Group A game.

Becoming the quickest host nation team to depart the tournament in the 92-year history of the World Cup, Qatar can’t qualify for the last 16 no matter what happens in their last game against Netherlands.

South Africa had been the only other home team to fail to make it out the group stage in 2010, but it at least managed a win and a draw.

“If you expected us to go very far in this tournament, then it will be a disappointment,” Qatar coach Félix Sánchez said before his team was officially out. “Our goal was to be competitive.”

The writing was on the wall from the very start for Qatar. The team may be the 2019 Asian champions, but looked nervous and was overwhelmed in the 2-0 loss to Ecuador last Sunday straight after a glittering opening ceremony put on by the wealthy Gulf emirate and meant to showcase it to the world.

Yesterday’s performance by Qatar was a little, but not much better for a squad that all play in the local league and is missing the kind of top talent that is present in almost every World Cup team now.

Qatar at least scored this time, a second-half header by substitute Mohammed Muntari, a Ghanaian-born striker who is one of many in the squad born outside Qatar, but brought in to boost its chances at the World Cup. At 2-1, Qatar threatened a comeback against the African champions for just six minutes before Bamba Dieng responded to hit home Senegal’s third goal and re-establish a two-goal cushion.

Senegal got their campaign back on track after losing its opener to Netherlands. Coach Aliou Cissé was also pleased that three forwards, Boulaye Dia, Famara Diedhiou and Dieng, got on the scoresheet as Senegal have their own challenge at this World Cup, filling the chasm left by the pre-tournament injury to Sadio Mané.

Cissé had instructed his remaining forwards to step it up before playing the hosts at Al Thumama Stadium in Doha. They responded.

“Yes, we understood the message loud and clear,” Dia said. “Efficiency efficiency, efficiency. You need to get in front of the goal and you need to score.”

Qatar had never qualified for the World Cup before FIFA’s highly contentious decision in 2010 to give it the tournament. That gave its team automatic entry. But although the oil- and gas-rich nation spent around US$220 billion of its vast riches on building stadiums, roads and even a new city for the World Cup, it couldn’t put together a solid defence for the team.

Qatar fell behind against Senegal after an amateurish mistake by central defender Boualem Khoukhi, who tried to make a clearance under no pressure, didn’t connect properly and landed on his bottom. The ball dribbled away from Khoukhi and Dia lashed it in for his first World Cup goal.

Diedhiou made it 2-0 at the start of the second half with a header from a corner while two Qatar defenders failed to stop him.