Tue | Jan 31, 2023

Mom in shock as son is first cop to die

Published:Monday | January 18, 2010 | 12:00 AM

Sheena Gayle, Gleaner Writer

THE BURDEN of a son's death on the heart of a mother is something Gwen Clarke is trying as best as possible to deal with following the untimely death of her son, policeman Metro McFarlane on Saturday.

"The family, including myself, is not coping too well," Clarke cried.

"I spoke with him on Friday about a lot of things. He called to talk about what was happening in his life and his plans throughout the course of the year and such," the distraught mother told The Gleaner.

"I just never imagine, never imagine we would get a call that mi son is shot and killed by a police," an obviously upset Clarke lamented.


McFarlane was killed by one of his colleagues as he attempted to apprehend a pickpocket who had robbed an individual in downtown Montego Bay.

The body of her son in the road, soaked with blood, brought Clarke to the verge of fainting and she had to be assisted by a family member, who removed her from the scene.

The cop, who has been on suspension from the Island Special Constabulary Force for the past year, was armed with his licensed firearm in pursuit of the criminal when he was shot by another policeman dressed in civilian clothes.

Probe by bsi

In a press release issued yesterday, Glenmore Hinds, acting deputy commissioner of police (DCP) in charge of the operations portfolio, described the incident as regrettable.

"The police are mainly through an investigation which is currently under way by the Bureau of Special Investigations (BSI), trying to ascertain, with as much accuracy as possible, the details of what happened when these two officers in plain clothes engaged each other," Hinds said.

"A preliminary report is expected on the desk of acting Commissioner of Police Owen Ellington by mid-day on Tuesday. In the interim, the officer involved has had his hands swabbed and has been taken off front-line duties," added Hinds.

The police are urging members of the public who witnessed the incident to give statements to the BSI. DCP Hinds said this would help to accelerate the investigation.

Raymond Wilson, chairman of the Jamaica Police Federation, said he could not comment on the issue at this time as he did not have all the facts.

Wilson said a directive had already been given for the federation to be part of the investigation.