Fri | Dec 1, 2023

I envy the freedom of my friends

Published:Monday | January 18, 2010 | 12:00 AM

Q: I find that I am not as organised as I used to be now that I have children. They are good kids but so much is happening in my life. They are 10, eight and five. I guess I had so many other plans for my life. My husband is supportive but as I see my friends studying, most do not have kids, I sort of envy them. How can I not feel so depressed?

A: Enjoy your life and the path you have chosen. Spend as much time as you can now with your children. You will not regret it. Sit down and list the things you would like to do. Prioritise them and choose wisely. Whatever you do, ensure that your husband and children get the best of your time.

Q: My daughter is seven years old and I have noticed that she is still not reading. She has been to four different schools since she was two-and-a-half years old and no one seems to be able to help her. What should I do?

A: Your daughter needs to be tested by a psychologist who specialises in assessing children with learning problems. It must be noted that for her to learn, she will need to settle down and learn to be disciplined. Moving her from school to school is not the best thing. Remember to share with the teacher the information that the psychologist shares with you.

Q: My paediatrician is convinced that my son, who is 10 years old, fantasises too much. I agree that he talks a lot about things that are not real and what he would do if he were in charge of the world. She wants me to get counselling for him but I think he is fine. There are no problems with his schoolwork and he is active at church. What should I do?

A: I am sure that your child's doctor has a valid reason for her recommendation. When you decide to take your son to get psychological help, please ask your paediatrician for a letter to take to the psychologist which will state why she thinks your son will need counselling.