Fri | Jun 2, 2023

Cavalier stun Waterhouse

Published:Friday | January 29, 2010 | 12:00 AM

Robert Bailey, Gleaner Writer

Digicel Premier League contenders Waterhouse, were sent packing out of this year's Claro/KSAFA Jackie Bell KO competition after they played to a 1-1 draw with Super League outfit Cavalier at Drewsland Mini Stadium on Wednesday.

Cavalier advanced on the away goals rule as both teams had failed to score in the first leg which was hosted by Cavalier.

In the semi-finals, Cavalier will face Tivoli Gardens, who also played their way to a 1-1 draw against Harbour View at the Harbour View Mini Stadium, but won the tie 3-1 on aggregate.

After playing their way to a draw in the first leg Waterhouse coach Geoffrey Maxwell had promised a return of several first team regulars, which could have swung the tie in the Drewsland team's favour. However, despite the introduction of a few more experienced campaigners, those plans went out the window when Loxley Thompson gave the visitors the lead in the 29th minute.

Rugged defending

Waterhouse did manage to pull a goal back in the 74th minute through Jermaine Anderson, but rugged defending by the lower league outfit ensured that the home team did not find the back of the net again.

At the Harbour View Mini Stadium, defender Christopher Harvey gave the home team a 1-0 half-time lead when he scored in the 32nd minute.

Tivoli were the better side in the second half, and were rewarded in the 52nd minute when Keammar Daley fired home a powerful right-footed shot past custodian Michaud Barrett, to level the score at 1-1. Lenworth Hyde, coach of Tivoli, said he was pleased with his team's performance.

Poor first half

"It was a poor first half, but excellent second half. We didn't start too well in the first half because I think Harbour View played a spirited game which pushed us on the back foot and they also got an early goal," said Hyde.

"We had a great half-time talk and we came out with more purpose and more enthusiasm and we started to play some good ball and we got back the equaliser and it was over from there," Hyde said.

The semi-finals will be played on February 6.