Sun | Apr 2, 2023

Village surprise Waterhouse 3-0

Published:Thursday | February 11, 2010 | 12:00 AM

Adrian Frater, News Editor

Western Bureau:

Second-from-bottom Village United made it two wins from their last two outings, when they surprised Waterhouse 3-0 in yesterday's Digicel Premier League fixture at the the Elletson Wakeland Youth Centre, in Falmouth.

Skipper Troy Smith with two goals and Omar Allen were on target for the Village United team, which went eight games without a win prior to the first of their recent back-to-back wins.

In a game in which they were dominated, the Waterhouse team also missed a penalty.

"Our plan coming into this game was to run at the Waterhouse team, because we believe we need to start doing better at home," said Village United's coach Paul 'Tegat' Davis. "Our condition has improved and the team discipline is now a lot better."

After soaking up some good early pressure from the Waterhouse team, Village took the lead against the run of play in the fifth minute. Skipper Smith broke out of midfield and with a clear shot on goal, fired powerfully past goalkeeper Richard McCallum, making the score 1-0.

With Village looking increasingly confident with each attack, they went further ahead in the 13th minute when a Waterhouse defender handled the ball under pressure resulting in a penalty. Skipper Smith made no mistake from the spot, making the score 2-0.

Waterhouse should have pulled back a goal in the 18th minute when Damion Williams got away before the goal but his powerful shot struck the upright and rebounded into play.

Waterhouse penalty

Village United countered in the 31st minute and widened their lead when Allen initially won possession before the goal and fumbled. However, he regained his composure and clipped the ball pass goalkeeper McCallum, making the score 3-0.

In the 60th minute, Waterhouse were awarded a penalty when a Village United defender handled the ball inside the penalty area. However, the usually reliable Kevin Lamey had his spot kick well saved by the diving goalkeeper.

In the dying minutes of the game, skipper Smith just missed completing the hat-trick and giving Village United a fourth goal in the 78th minute. He dribbled into the box but directed his powerful grounder wide of the goal.