Tue | Jun 6, 2023

Greenwich KO Cavalier

Published:Friday | February 19, 2010 | 12:00 AM

Major League outfit Greenwich Town registered a shocking 1-0 victory over Super League leaders Cavalier in the opening round of matches in the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF)/Flow Champions Cup KO competition at the Constant Spring Sports Complex yesterday.

Ricardo Munroe scored the lone goal for Greenwich Town in the 41st minute when he fired home from close range past goalkeeper Delroy Richards.

Stephen Taylor, coach of Greenwich Town, said he was delighted with his team's performance.

"I am feeling very good about this win because this is payback time for us. They beat us in the Jackie Bell KO competition and I am glad that we were able to beat them today," said Taylor.

Game plan

He added: "I think that we played well because our players stuck to the game plan and they played with a lot of heart, and I am delighted that we were able to come out on top."

Meanwhile Lamar Morgan, coach of Cavalier, said: "We created a lot of easy chances in the first half and we failed to put them away. However, Greenwich Town made good use of the few chances that they received and they won the match."

At Ferdie Neita Park, Portmore blanked Naggo Head 2-0. Michael Binns opened the scoring for Portmore with an 11-minute penalty before Carlington Smith buried Naggo Head in the 70th minute when he shot home from the edge of the 18-yard box past Kelvin Brown in goal for Naggo Head.

Smith was carried off the field soon after as he sustained an injury while taking the shot.

Naggo Head had more misery two minutes later when their forward, Rohan Cato, was shown the red card for a rough challenge on Portmore's Bryan Bayliss.

Portmore's captain, Anthony Modeste, said he was pleased with the number of goals his team scored.

"We haven't scored two goals in quite a while (and that's a welcome sign). We, however, need to work on our passes on the pitch."

Naggo Head's coach, Mario Walker, was not pleased with his team's performance. "We just didn't come with our A-game. Playing a quality team like Portmore we had to come with our A-game. The last time we played them in the St Catherine Credit Union knockout we represented the club much better than today," Walker said.

In Trelawny, a brace from Omar Allen gave Village United a 2-0 win over a spirited Benfica.

The first came in the 14th minute when he collected a defence-splitting pass and went by two defenders to score. His second came in the 87th minute when he headed home after being left unmarked in the box.

Although a 2-0 scoreline would suggest a walk in the park for Village United, this wasn't the case. The losers played a better technical game with better passing, and had the dangerous Gregory Tape received more support the outcome could have been different.

Fighting spirit

Assistant coach of Village, Norman Foster, praised the fighting spirit of their opponents but noted that his team had the skill and the will to step up their game. He noted that some key players were out due to injuries, but the hope is that they will be fit to face Portmore in the Premier League on Sunday.

In the day's other games, goals from Kemal Mullings and Akeem Thenstead carried August Town to an exciting 2-1 victory over home team Monymusk. Franklyn Johnson scored the consolation goal for Monymusk.

Humble Lions blanked Georges Valley 3-0. Phillip Peddie, Peter Morris and Omando McLeod were the goalscorers for Humble Lions.

Rivoli United, led by a 56th-minute strike from Kirk Ramsey, beat Ujama 1-0. Reno stopped Spicy Hill 3-0 and Granville edged Bamboo 1-0.