Seafood: 40 ways in 40 days
Lent began on Ash Wednesday and from now until Holy Thursday, we will share with you at least 40 different ways to prepare seafood.
This is the time of year when many people avoid red meat and poultry but apart from the usual frying, steaming and stewing of fish, they never explore their recipe options further. There are many goodies from the sea: shrimp, crab, lobster, mackerel, salmon, banga Mary, conch, scallops, tilapia ... the list is endless.
1. Sesame Ginger Shrimp Noodle Bowl
package spaghetti (noodles)
2oz dressing (below)
Combine dressing in bowl with noodles until well coated, and place on plate.
Toss shrimp with 4oz Thai Plum Sauce (garlic) until coated.
Place shrimp in the centre of noodles.
Sesame Ginger Dressing
2oz light soy sauce
2oz rice wine vinegar
4oz olive oil
oz garlic powder
5 broken shrimp
2oz frozen green peas
2oz julienne carrots
1/2oz sushi ginger
black and white sesame seeds.
2. Parmesan crusted Snapper wrap
1 snapper fillet (cut lengthwise into strips)
Mix together above ingredients for dredging fish
Creamy Italian dressing
3oz Parmesan cheese
3oz bread crumbs
Salt to taste
1. Dredge all strips of fish and generously coat with Parmesan mixture, fry until golden brown.
To assemble wrap
8 leaves romaine lettuce
4 whole wheat tortilla wraps
Place lettuce unto wrap then neatly arrange fish.
Cover fish with another leaf and roll lengthwise
Serve with dressing
3. Smoked salmon roulade
2oz smoked Salmon
2oz cream cheese
1oz red onions dice
1oz diced red pepper
1oz black olives, diced
1oz diced garlic
1 10-inch tortilla wrap
1oz chopped escallion
1. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend to a smooth paste; keep refrigerated until needed.
2. Place paste on to tortilla wrap
3. Attractively arrange salmon unto paste; wrap then roll neatly.
4. Escoveitched Shrimp with pickled vegetables
Shrimp - 16-20 (s/o) 4-6 shrimp per serving (optional)
Onion - 4oz (julienne)
Cho-cho - 4oz (julienne)
Spaghetti - 2oz (cooked)
Carrot - 4oz (julienne)
Scotch bonnet peppers - 2 deseeded & chopped
A few pimento seeds
2 cups olive oil
White cane vinegar - 1 cup
Salt and pepper to taste
1oz pickled ginger
1. Boil Pasta, cool.
2. Butterfly Shrimp season to taste.
3. Sauté julienne vegetables and vinegar; simmer then add pimento seed, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Sauté shrimp then toss with julienne vegetables; arrange in the centre of plate as desired.
Yields one serving
(Recipes courtesy of Rainforest Seafoods)