Sat | May 27, 2023

Robbery trick lands man in prison

Published:Wednesday | March 3, 2010 | 12:00 AM

To serve seven-year sentence, but gets off abduction and rape charges

Barbara Gayle, Staff Reporter

A man who tricked a teenager who was on her way to St Elizabeth, and then took her to his home, where he robbed her, is to serve seven years' imprisonment for the crime.

Roy Marshall, 24, of Pleasant Valley, Clarendon, was pursuing a course in plumbing at a community college when he committed the offence.

He was charged with abduction, rape and robbery with aggravation. Last month, a Clarendon Circuit Court jury found him guilty of the robbery charge and freed him of the other two charges.

Supreme Court judge Almarie Sinclair-Haynes, in sentencing Marshall on Monday in the Home Circuit Court, told him that robbery with aggravation was a violent offence, for which the maximum sentence was 21 years. She said, while she took into account his youth, she had to impose a sentence which had an element of deterrence, punishment and rehabilitation.

The Crown, represented by Crown Counsel Sanchia Burrell, had led evidence that in March 2008, the 19-year-old complainant, who lives in St Mary, was on her way from Goshen, St Elizabeth. She did not know how to get to Goshen and, while on a bus, began asking for directions.


Marshall, who was a passenger, told the complainant he was on his way to Goshen and persuaded her to disembark the bus in May Pen, Clarendon.

Marshall spent some time in May Pen pretending he was trying to secure transportation for them to go to Mandeville, Manchester, from where they would connect to St Elizabeth. He eventually took the complainant to his home in Pleasant Valley, where he robbed her.

The complainant said Marshall also raped her. A report was made to the police and Marshall was arrested and charged with abduction, rape and robbery with aggravation. The police searched Marshall's home and found documents and other items belonging to the complainant.

He denied committing the offences.

Attorney-at-law, Garfield Haisley, who represented Marshall, made an impassioned plea for leniency.