Mon | Feb 6, 2023

Men charged in Munster Rd ammunition find still waiting

Published:Friday | March 12, 2010 | 12:00 AM

Barbara Gayle, Staff Reporter

Bail application for four men, including the police sergeant who was charged in connection with the seizure of 19 guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition stolen from the constabulary force's armoury was on Wednesday put off for March 17.

The defence lawyers representing the men told the court that they were only served yesterday afternoon with the statements in the case, and needed time to read them.

Supreme Court Judge Bryan Skyes adjourned the matter and remanded the men.

The accused are Sergeant Russell Robinson, Charles Morris and David Blagrove, civilians attached to the police armoury, and civilian Garnett Pennington, who is believed to be the owner of the premises on Munster Road, in eastern St Andrew where the seizure was made three weeks ago.

The men were arrested and charged following a ruling by the director of public prosecutions.

Sergeant Russell, who is being represented by defence lawyer Bert Samuels, has been charged with 18 counts of illegal possession of a firearm, four counts of breaching the Corruption Prevention Act, one count of illegal possession of ammunition and one count of storehouse break-in and larceny.

The find

The Crown, represented by deputy directors of public prosecutions, Dirk Harrison and Jeremy Taylor, is alleging that 18 firearms were found inside a motorvehicle which the policeman had driven to Munster Road. One firearm and 10,200 rounds of ammunition were allegedly found inside the house at Munster Road.

Pennington, who is being represented by attorney-at-law Tom Tavares Finson; Blagrove, who is represented by attorney-at-law CJ Mitchell; and Morris, who is being represented by attorney-at-law Elam Bogle, are facing charges of illegal possession of firearms, illegal possession of ammunition and aiding and abetting storehouse break-in and larceny.

Russell and Pennington are charged with breaching the Corruption Prevention Act and were remanded until March 23 when they appeared in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court on Tuesday. It is being alleged that they offered the police money to free them when they were arrested.

Following the seizure, acting Commissioner of Police, Owen Ellington ordered the immediate closure of the armoury and police stores on Elletson Road in east Kingston.