Thu | Feb 2, 2023

Price wants greater focus

Published:Tuesday | March 16, 2010 | 12:00 AM

Ryon Jones, Gleaner Writer

Boys' Town coach Andrew Price believes his team has to get over being a second-half team and concentrate for 90 minutes, following their 1-1 draw in a riveting Digicel Premier League encounter at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex on Sunday.

"We are a second-half team, but in this league you have to play both halves, you can't just play one half," said Price. "We are possibly one of the fittest teams in the league and we really showed it here today where we really dominated the entire second half, but we have to play good from the first whistle, and I believe we didn't concentrate, especially in the first 10 minutes of the game, and as a result we conceded that very soft goal."

Well taken

The game was one of two halves, which saw Boys' Town looking like a totally different team in the second after they had gone behind in the first to a well-taken goal by Arnett's William Richards in the third minute.

Richards picked up a ball nodded down by Cornel Chin-Sue midway the Boys' Town half and left a player on the turf before beating Boys' Town's keeper, Philmore Crumbie, with a lovely left-footed strike to his far post.

Arnett Gardens went on to dominate the first-half against a very flat Boys' Town team.

However, the Red Brigade came out full of running in second half and took full control of the match, forcing Arnett on the back foot. The Arnett defence was eventually penetrated in the 73rd minute when Shane Edwards, who had been on the field for only eight minutes, controlled a long pass which was played over the the defence and his marker. He kept his composure and beat the onrushing Arnett custodian, Julian McLeish, to his left.

"Our team has to be consistent. We have to concentrate for 90 minutes, we can't just play 45 minutes of football," Price lamented.

Arnett should have been at least 2-0 up in the first half. The best opportunity to increase their lead came just before the end of the first-half. Kevin King intercepted a cross-field pass by Andre Wheeler on the half-line, before putting through a lovely pass to an unmarked Newton Sterling, who missed his first effort with the Boys' Town keeper, Crumbie, at his mercy.

Powerful effort

Crumbie, however, made a hash of the save and presented the ball back to Sterling, who got off a more powerful effort. Crumbie recovered and pulled off a lovely save from point-blank range.

Arnett Gardens' coach, Wayne Fairclough, was disappointed his team was unable to secure the win.

The draw saw Arnett staying eighth in the standings on 34 points whereas Boys' Town remain fifth on 41 points.

"We squandered a lot of chances. If we had scored even one I think it would have been a different ball game," said Fairclough.

"I think we played good enough to win this game. as a matter of fact, but then again such is life, such is football. It is a hard game. we squandered a lot of chances and Boys' Town took the one chance that they got," he added.