Wed | Jun 7, 2023

TG dismiss St Georges

Published:Monday | March 22, 2010 | 12:00 AM

André Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

On the back of an almost perfect first-half display, Tivoli Gardens dismissed St Georges 3-0 in Digicel Premier League action at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex yesterday.

The win pushed Tivoli Gardens (TG) to 60 points, the same as Harbour View, which started the day at the top of the standings. While Tivoli Gardens have a superior goal difference, Harbour View had the chance to return to the top in last night's late game against Humble Lion.

The game started at a brisk pace with the home team controlling much of the possession with their trademark high-tempo brand of play.

After knocking on the door on a number of occasions, the defending champions finally gave the home supporters something to cheer about when hard-tackling midfielder Jerry Walters struck his first goal for the club in the 13th minute.

The visitors almost regained parity five minutes later, but striker Romeo Parkes failed to make the most of the opportunity after finding himself behind the TG backline.

Parkes was at it again in the 30th minute, turning his marker Kasai Hinds sublimely in the box but could find no way around TG 'keeper' Edsel Scott, who did well to cut the angle and eliminate the danger.

Flicked pass

A bad situation became worse for the Portlanders in the 42nd minute after national striker Navion Boyd latched on to a delicately flicked pass, before outsprinting the retreating St Georges defenders and lodging his shot in the back of the net to double the advantage.

The rapid deterioration of St Georges' position continued only seconds later, as from the ensuing kick-off, Tivoli stole possession and when the final pass was made to dynamic left-sided player, Jameel Thompson, he unleashed a bullet of a shot from just outside the penalty box that swelled the scoreline to 3-0.

The hosts continued to turn the screws during the early exchanges in the second period, as they limited the end of first-round finalists to half chances and frustration.

The visitors received a lifeline a minute later after an infringement by Tivoli defender Rupert Murray resulted in a penalty kick for St Georges.

Scott once again rose to the occasion and certainly earned his pay cheque after moving to his right to save Dwayne Holmes' spot kick.

It was not without a price, however, as he suffered an injury and had to be substituted minutes later, after colliding into the right upright while executing his acrobatic heroics.

The visitors ended the game with one less man after Ricardo Watson received marching orders from referee Dave Peterkin in the dying minutes of the game, to compound a miserable outing for the Portlanders who slipped a spot to fourth, on 44 points.