Tue | Mar 28, 2023

My child is ready, I know it

Published:Monday | April 19, 2010 | 12:00 AM

Q. I have a 13-year-old daughter who is qualified to sit CXCs but her school won't allow it. I have taught her over the years and know that she is bright. I only allow her to go to school for socialisation purposes. How can I get the school to allow her to sit the exams externally?

A. It is great that your daughter is smart. What you should do is make an appointment to discuss the issue with the principal. The principal will inform you of what the school's policy is. If you are not happy with the response you receive, you should call the CXC office and find out what you need to do to sit the exam privately.

Q. My husband and I visited a psychologist who tested our son at age three and told us that even though he was not speaking he did not show signs of retardation. He was able to identify things she showed him and complete an activity on a computer. His hearing is very good. However, now at six years, he is still not talking and not doing well in basic school. What do we do?

A. Many times a child may seem normal at one age and then a disability of some type whether physical, mental or emotional shows itself later in life. You need to get your son tested as soon as possible.

Q. I have a serious problems with persons at my workplace as it regards conversations and comments made about children we work with. How can I ask them nicely to be professionals?

A. Encourage your colleagues not to believe hearsay or rumours. Tell your colleagues that they are not to gossip or reveal private information about the children. Have them remember that whenever they are speaking about a case that relates to a child, that they are to keep the conversation on a professional level and not speculate or talk loudly so that they can be overheard by others.

Orlean Brown Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown Earle works with children with learning and behaviour problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to helpline@gleanerjm.com or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston.