Fri | Jan 28, 2022

5-y-o's throat slashed

Published:Monday | May 3, 2010 | 12:00 AM

A five-year-old boy who was found with his throat slashed at home in Clarendon yesterday was one of at least nine persons murdered on the weekend as violence continued unabated.

The latest killings bring Jamaica's homicide toll to 546 this year.

The May Pen police reported that about 2:30 a.m., five-year-old Evan Sebastian Spencer was left at home in Frankfield, Clarendon. Shortly after, a man known to Evan's father was later seen fleeing the house. When the house was checked, the youngster was seen with his throat slashed.

The May Pen Homicide Investigation Unit has since taken the child's father and the accused man into custody for questioning.

It is the second murder of a five-year-old in the island in four days after Christina Salmon of Rose Heights, St James, was shot up by thugs last Thursday.

Meanwhile, detectives from the Denham Town and Half-Way Tree police stations were busy probing the murders of two men between Saturday night and yesterday morning. In the first incident, the police reported that about 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, a man and a 12-year-old girl were at the intersection of Spanish Town Road and Rose Lane when explosions were heard.

It was later discovered that both were shot.

The two were taken to hospital where the man, identified as Basil Nelson, 50, of Temple Hall, St Andrew, succumbed to his injuries. The girl was admitted in serious condition. In the second incident, the police said that about 5:30 a.m. yesterday, residents of Manley Avenue, August Town, reported hearing explosions. On the arrival of law-enforcement personnel, the body of an unidentified man was discovered with gunshot wounds.

Deadly dispute

Over in St James, a dispute between two females left one dead and another on the run. Information from the police is that about 7:30 p.m., the two got into a fight when one of the women pulled a knife and used it to stab the other. The victim, identified as 20-year-old Sherry-Kay Cunningham, of a Shaw Castle address, was taken to the Cornwall Regional Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Also in St James, one of three men who allegedlyrobbed a security guard, who is also a licensed firearm holder, was shot dead at Bogue Hill in St James last night. Dead is 33-year-old shopkeeper Shawn Wilmot of Bogue Hill.

Information is that about 8:15 p.m., the security guard got into a taxi with three men, including the driver, on the Long Hill main road. Shortly after, one of the passengers pointed a firearm at him while the driver diverted to a section of Bogue Hill and stopped. The guard was then robbed of $10,000 in cash. A struggle and shoot-out ensued between the two men.

The guard escaped and called the police. When the police arrived, Wilmot's body was found with gunshot wounds. A .38 revolver was allegedly found on his person.

Over in St Ann, a man was walking along the Runaway Bay main road in the company of a female when he was shot and killed by men travelling in a white Nissan motor car shortly before 7:30 a.m. on Saturday. The body was identified as that of Barrington 'Biggs' Gayle of Bogue, St James.

In Clarendon, 51-year-old Alvin McPherson of Canaan Heights district succumbed to injuries after he was stabbed by another man in the vicinity of the May Pen Market before 7 p.m. on Saturday.