Tue | Jun 6, 2023

Can't agree on a name for our child

Published:Tuesday | November 1, 2011 | 12:00 AM

Q: My husband wants me to name my child after his best friend's mother. He cannot give me a reason why he wants this done. It has been two weeks now and my baby does not have a full name. I want to register her now.

A: It is very important for you as the mother of the child to be comfortable with your child's name. There seems to be more to his wanting that special name than meets the eye. Ask your husband to be honest and open with you about his choice of name.

My children or the job?

Q: I got a job with a cleaning company that insists that I work one Sunday every other week. I have nobody to leave my children with. They are 10 and 12 years old. My friend told me that it is against the law to leave them alone at home at that age. I need the job. What do I do?

A: It is not safe or right to leave children alone. So many things can happen. Can you plan with a neighbour or family member that you trust to watch the children for you? When you find someone to care for the children, ask your children to be respectful to the person who is providing help by caring for them when you are at work.

Cancer and depressed

Q: I found out that I have cancer. As a 35-year-old mother of children under 15, I am scared. My spouse is in and out of our lives and my family is poor and really does not have the resources to help me. I am a bit depressed.

A: Let your doctor know about your financial situation and see if he or she can guide you to get some help. Also, contact the Jamaica Cancer Society and see if they can offer you counselling services. Let your pastor know what is currently happening so he or she also can advise you. I am sure that you will get help.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behaviour problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to helpline@gleanerjm.com or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!