Wed | Jun 7, 2023

Vybz Kartel's co-accused granted bail

Published:Saturday | January 14, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Barbara Gayle, Staff Reporter

THE CROWN disclosed in court yesterday that there was very strong evidence against popular Jamaican entertainer Vybz Kartel and four of the five men who are charged jointly with him for the murder of Clive 'Lizard' Williams.

Calvin Haye, one of Kartel's co-accused, was granted bail in the sum of $1 million with one or two sureties.

Kartel and the other men were remanded until February 17 when the case will be mentioned again in the Home Circuit Court.

The Crown did not oppose bail for Haye, who is being represented by Norma Linton, QC, and Christian Tavares-Finson.

The prosecutor said that when the police carried out a raid at Altamont Court last year, Kartel was found with four mobile phones and on one of them there was the alleged voice of Haye planning the murder. The prosecutor said there was no independent evidence that it was Haye's voice and the police said they were seeking overseas voice analysis.

"It would be unfair for Haye to be in custody while that is being done," the prosecutor gave as the reason bail was not being opposed.

Serious allegation

In granting Haye bail, Justice Courtney Daye remarked that the alleged participation was serious.

Kartel, whose real name is Adidja Palmer, is being represented by attorney-at-law Valerie Neita Robertson. He has been in custody since October 1 last year.

The other accused are Shawn Campbell, Kahira Jones, Shane Williams and André St. John. Legal representation has not yet been settled for Williams and St. John.

Kartel is facing another murder charge and has been granted bail on that charge. However, he cannot take up the bail offer because he has been denied bail in the Williams murder case.

The Crown will be relying on scientific evidence, as well as the evidence of a man who was allegedly transported in a taxi to Kartel's house in Havendale, St Andrew, in August last year. It is being alleged that Williams was beaten with blocks and pickaxe stick at the house. The witness managed to escape from the house and it is further alleged that while he was running away, Kartel called out to him saying that he was not after him but was only after Williams.

The prosecutor said it was also alleged that Kartel was the head of a gang in Waterford, St Catherine. Williams and another man were gun lockers (responsible for keeping the guns) for Kartel. Guns went missing in August last year and Kartel allegedly wanted Williams to account for the guns. Williams began expressing fear for his life and told someone that he would have to get money to pay for the guns. The Crown is alleging that Williams was beaten to death on August 16 last year.