Spur Tree Jamaica spices up the pot!
As more and more local food manufacturers make use of Jamaica-grown fruits and vegetables in the agri-processing business, consumers continue to reap the benefits of choice. One relatively new line of products on supermarket shelves is the multi-award winning Spur Tree Jamaica line of sauces and seasonings. But we will let you try some of them for yourselves with the recipes below.
21/2lb oxtail, cut up
4tbsp Spur Tree Oxtail Seasoning
2tbsp cooking oil
4 carrots, peeled and sliced (optional)
1 pint (16fl oz) hot water
1 can butter beans
1. Season oxtail with Spur Tree Oxtail Seasoning and marinate for two to four hours in refrigerator.
2. Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown oxtail on both sides.
3. Add carrots to hot water, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for three and a half hours or until oxtail is almost tender.
4. At this stage, add more liquid if necessary and check seasoning.
5. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, add butter beans and allow to simmer for three to four minutes.
Serve with traditional Jamaican rice and peas.
2lb chicken pieces
3tbsp Spur Tree Jerk Seasoning
1. Wash and dry chicken pieces, rub well with Spur Tree Jerk Seasoning and marinate for two to 12 hours in refrigerator.
2. Pre-heat barbecue grill and cook on medium/high heat for 10 minutes, turning once.
3. Turn heat to low and cook for a further 30 minutes, turning once more until tender and juices run clear.
2tbsp Spur Tree Curry Seasoning
1lb medium shrimps, peeled and de-veined
1/4 cup coconut milk
1. Marinate shrimps with one teaspoon Spur Tree Curry Seasoning for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
2. Heat oil in pan and fry one tablespoon Spur Tree Curry Seasoning for two minutes.
3. Add shrimp to pan and cook on medium heat for six to eight minutes. Stir in coconut milk, cook for a further two minutes.
Serve with white rice.
Chicken with Pepper Jelly
4 chicken breasts, deboned
2tbsp Spur Tree Pepper Jelly
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
Salt and pepper
1. Season breasts with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
2. Spread Spur Tree Pepper Jelly on both sides, and sprinkle generously with Parmesan on both sides.
3. Place on greased baking tray and bake in oven at 350F for 30 minutes or until fully cooked.
For more information, go to: www.spurtreejamaica.com.