Tue | Jun 22, 2021

Double trouble for MoBay man?

Published:Saturday | March 24, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Christopher Thomas, Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:

A Montego Bay man previously accused of chopping another man was remanded in police custody when he was brought before the court for allegedly wounding the same complainant.

Donald Chambers pleaded not guilty to unlawful wounding of Timothy Bernard in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Monday.

The prosecution told Resident Magistrate Vivienne Harris that it was opposed to bail as Chambers had a matter before the court for the same offence against the same complainant.

It was also disclosed that Chambers was on bail in the previous case.

"When you're granted bail for an offence, and you subsequently reoffend - worse if it's the same complainant - the Bail Act says you're not to get any more bail," Harris commented.

Representation issue

Meanwhile, Chambers' mother, who was present at court, told the judge that she would try to secure a lawyer for her son in this new matter.

"How long will you need?" Harris asked the mother.

"Mi nuh know," she answered, drawing a few chuckles from the court.

Harris set the case for mention on August 4 and ordered Chambers to be remanded and his fingerprints given to the police.

Allegations are that on February 23, Bernard made a police report indicating that Chambers was threatening him in relation to their previous court case. Shortly afterwards, Chambers allegedly accosted and chopped the complainant.