Fri | Jun 2, 2023

Boyd's double nets win for Tivoli

Published:Monday | March 26, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Andre Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

Tivoli Gardens etched out a 'blue-collared' 2-0 victory over relegation candidates Highgate United at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex last night, as the Glendon 'Admiral' Bailey-coached outfit continue to cling to fading Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) title ambitions.

"There are still a lot of points out there and until those points evaporate we still have hopes and will keep the fight going," said a defiant Bailey.

With seven games left on the schedule, accounting for 21 available points, it seems unlikely that the defending champions will be able to claw their way back from the 13-point gap between themselves and leaders Portmore United.

Tivoli third

Tivoli Gardens remain in third place on 50 points, one behind neighbours Boys' Town, who were held 0-0 at home by Humble Lion.

In a game that saw the return of former Tivoli Gardens club idol Steve Green to his old stomping ground, it was the west Kingston-based outfit's new class of favourites that made the difference yesterday.

National striker Navion Boyd scored a goal in either half, while a number of players from the under-21 ranks also gave a good account of themselves.

"I think we played well, we kept the shape and the rotation went very well, but what pleases me most was the urgency and the pace that we played with today," said Bailey.

The hosts got off to the brighter start and should have taken the lead in the fifth minute, but Mitchily Waul placed a free header wide after he was first to arrive for a deep Jameel Thompson cross.

It was a big let off for the Highgate team, but their relief was shortlived, as national striker Boyd was at his clinical best, doing well to control a difficult pass from Dane Kelly in the ninth minute, before keeping his composure to slot his shot between the legs of the onrushing goalkeeper. It was truly a classy finish from the 24-year-old.

Competitive game

Highgate kept the game competitive with a typical workman-like display, particularly in midfield, but their industry quite frequently lost steam in the final third.

Boyd put the matter beyond doubt in the 83rd minute when he stepped up to convert a penalty after Donavan Davis quite comically handled the ball in the penalty area.

Tivoli pushed for the third as Thompson in particular was rather menacing, coming close on two occasions; the latter a ferocious left-footer from the top of the box.

Highgate's coach, Geoffrey Maxwell, blamed his team's inability to maintain pressure as their main downfall.

"We played well for 20 minutes, keeping the ball and frustrating Tivoli but after that we started to play this long, aimless, long ball game," said Maxwell. "The key thing is to keep them into the Premier League and to do so we have to play as well as we did in the first 20 minutes here."

Yesterday's Results

Tivoli 2 Highgate 0
Arnett 2 Portmore 3
MoBay 2 Reno 0
Waterhouse 2 Sporting 0
Boys' Town 0 Humble Lion 0
H View 0 Village 0