Fri | Dec 2, 2022

Let's Talk Life

Published:Saturday | March 31, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Yvonnie Bailey- Davidson, Contributor

Grieving for my dead son

Dear Counsellor,

My son was shot dead about a year ago. I am still crying every day. It was my only son and he showed such promise.

- Maureen

Dear Maureen,

It is a tragic death that your son had. Grieving can be lifelong with anniversary reactions. It is a big problem if a child or parent dies. Parents and children cannot be replaced, so you need to treat them well. Some people speak about the stages of grief and what to expect as you go further in time. Speaking to a counsellor will help you adjust to your loss.

I need exam tips

Dear Counsellor,

I would like to get some tips on passing exams.

- John

Dear John,

Passing examinations is more about revising your work and being calm during the test. At the beginning of the course, you need to get the syllabus and past papers. You will see the scope of the work to be covered and the likely questions. Read the textbooks and practise the questions.

Your meals should be nutritious and filling as you need calories, vitamins and protein. You also need to be exercising as this will be refreshing.

Some people like to study alone, while others prefer to study in groups. Organise yourself so you can study each night. Don't wait until the last minute to be studying. If you have questions about a particular subject matter, you will need to ask the teacher.

Read the questions carefully before answering. Do the questions you know well at the beginning of the test. Afterwards, you should go back to the difficult ones. Divide your time for each question.

How do I help my mentally ill brother?

Dear Counsellor,

My brother has been mentally ill for many years and refuses to take medication at times. He roams the streets and makes a nuisance of himself.

- Janet

Dear Janet,

Mental illness can cause people to behave in strange ways. Many times the individual speaks or laugh to him/herself. Restlessness and wandering are associated with the illness. You can get someone to assist you to take him to a hospital. He will need to stay in hospital for some time to allow for full recovery.

After discharge from hospital, he can stay at a nursing home and get monthly injections.

Email questions and feedback for Dr Yvonnie Bailey-Davidson to or call 978-8602.