Did You Know?: The Egg Edition
'Eggsperience' the goodness
1. Nutritionally, there is no difference between brown and white eggs.
2. Most eggs are laid between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m.
3. A fresh egg will sink in water while a stale egg will float.
4. China is the world's top egg-producing country.
5. The average hen in Jamaica lays about 280-300 eggs per year, the equivalent to laying an egg every 1.2 to 1.3 days.
6. As a hen gets older, she produces larger eggs.
7. Eggshells are great for fertilising garden soil. They add calcium, phosphorus, sulphur and potassium to make plants stronger.
8. Crushed eggshells can be used as a natural drain cleaner. As they are washed down the drain, they trap other solids and help to clean the pipes.
Jamaica Egg Farmers Association
American Egg Board
By Shea Stewart, Elite Kreations
12 Smart Eggs
4 ounces CB chicken breasts (cut in cubes)
5 breakfast sausages (diced)
1 medium red onion (diced)
2 stalks scallion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (diced)
1 scotch bonnet pepper (chopped)
2 ounces vegetable oil
2 sprigs rosemary (chopped)
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese
2 sprigs parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Put an ovenproof skillet (preferably non-stick and 12") on the stove at medium heat. Place oil in pan.
2. When oil has become hot, place chicken breasts and cook for about 4 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
3. When chicken is almost cooked, place breakfast sausages and all chopped seasoning in pot, cooking until caramelised and flavours have developed. While this is happening, whisk your eggs thoroughly with salt, pepper and milk in a bowl and turn your broiler in the oven on. (If you don't have a broiler, pre-heat oven to 400F).
4. Place whisked egg into skillet and cook over medium to high heat for two minutes, scraping the sides and bottom with a heat-resistant spatula.
5. When eggs are mostly cooked but still wet in the middle, stop stirring and continue cooking on stove for two more minutes. Just before putting in the oven, sprinkle cheese, paprika and parsley on top and place under broiler. Watch carefully until top becomes nice and golden brown.
6. Remove skillet from oven and let sit for five minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.