Sun | Jun 20, 2021

Murder accused to return to court next month

Published:Saturday | April 21, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Christopher Thomas, Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:Barrington Bucknor of St James, accused of killing another man during a tenancy dispute, is scheduled to return to court in May as the prosecution's case file is still incomplete.

Bucknor, who is from Greenwood, St James, is answering charges related to the 2011 murder of cable technician Ricardo Bernard of Mount Salem in the parish.

When the case was mentioned in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, the court was told that the post-mortem report is still outstanding, and that the investigating officer is on sick leave. The prosecution asked for three weeks to complete its case file.

Resident Magistrate Sandria Wong-Small extended Bucknor's $75,000 bail until May 15, when the matter will again be mentioned.

Allegations are that on October 19, 2011, Bucknor and Bernard were involved in a dispute related to tenancy at Bucknor's residence in Greenwood.

It is said that Bernard then entered the dwelling, only to run out moments later with stab wounds to his neck. Bernard was later pronounced dead at hospital, and Bucknor was subsequently arrested and charged.

George Douglas, Bucknor's attorney, had previously argued that his client's landlady had several men kick down the door to his room on the day of the allegations, in an effort to remove him from the premises, and that Bucknor suffered three stab wounds from the same incident.