Somerset gives Gayle all-clear
LONDON, England (CMC):
Somerset County has decided not to take legal action against West Indies batsman Chris Gayle over his aborted Twenty20 contract.
Gayle pulled out of the deal earlier this week in order to make himself available for the limited-overs phase of West Indies tour of England next month, forcing the club to seek legal advice.
However, Somerset chief executive Guy Lavender said Friday the club had opted not to push the issue.
"Having taken legal advice and reflected on the situation over the last 24 hours, we have concluded that it is not in the best interests of Somerset County Cricket Club, Chris Gayle, or cricket more generally to pursue this matter any further," said Lavender.
"We wish Chris well and hope to see him back playing for the West Indies this summer."
He added: "We have got a tremendous T20 side and are relishing the opportunity to commence our campaign against Warwickshire at the County Ground on June 13."
Somerset have replaced Gayle with South African opener Faf du Plessis.
Gayle, one of the leading T20 batsmen on the international circuit, was scheduled to turn out for Somerset in the English domestic competition next month.
But in ending his yearlong exile from the West Indies team, the left-handed Jamaican said he had notified Somerset of his unavailability in his quest to resume his international career.