Mon | Jun 14, 2021

Seeking work with a temporary resident visa

Published:Tuesday | May 15, 2012 | 12:00 AM
Deidre S. Powell

Dear Miss Powell,

I would like to congratulate you on the wonderful work you are doing. I have a temporary-resident visa for Canada and I want to try out for the farm-work programme. Would I lose my temporary-resident visa if I apply for a work permit as a farm worker?

- G.S.

Dear G.S.,

A work permit is not a visa and does not give you a right to travel to and from Canada. If you apply for a work permit under the farm-working programme, you will not automatically lose your temporary resident visa, unless Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) finds that there is a reason to revoke/withdraw your visa. A work permit grants you the right to work in Canada, provides you with certain benefits and ensures your employer follows employment laws and regulations. Farm workers have certain special rights in Canada, and you should familiarise yourself with these rights.

The temporary-resident visa is the document which grants you the right to travel to and from Canada. This is the sticker that is placed in your passport, that shows you have met the requirements to be able to travel to Canada. This visa may be a single or multiple. If you have a single-entry temporary resident visa, this visa will no longer be valid upon your return to Jamaica. However, you will need to reapply or apply for an extension of the temporary-resident visa when it expires. You may use a single entry visa to be able to enter Canada for work.

Please note that while you may not need to get criminal, security or medical clearance to get a temporary-resident visa, you will need these reports in order to qualify for the work permit. If you think you may have a difficulty qualifying for a work permit, do not give up automatically without consulting an immigration lawyer.

Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars, with main office located in Ottawa, Ontario. Her main areas of practice are immigration, personal injury, and administration of estates. She is on the roster of mediators for Ottawa, Toronto and the Dispute Resolution Foundation of Jamaica. Email: Subject line: Immigration