Thu | Jun 17, 2021

Prelim exam into MoBay kidnapping case continues

Published:Tuesday | May 22, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Christopher Thomas, Gleaner Writer


The preliminary examination into the May 2011 kidnapping of a three-year-old boy will resume in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on June 25 when the police witnesses in the matter are expected to take the stand.

Resident Magistrate Wilson Smith set the matter for continuation following the testimonies of four prosecution witnesses in court yesterday.

Four people are charged jointly in connection with the abduction of the boy from the Mount Alvernia Preparatory and Kindergarten School in Montego Bay, St James, on May 3, 2011.

They are 23-year-old cabinetmaker Jonathan Mitchell of Spaldings, Clarendon; 22-year-old barber Trevon Tomlinson of Cornwall Courts in Montego Bay; 26-year-old counsellor Jenise Regisford of Connecticut, United States, and Cornwall Courts addresses, as well as a 16-year-old male from Paradise, Montego Bay.

Allegations are that the child was snatched while waiting to be picked up from school by his parents. He was later found unharmed and the four accused, along with two other individuals, were arrested and charged.

Surveillance tape checked

During Monday's court proceedings, principal Angella McPherson testified that immediately following the child's disappearance, the security surveillance tape was checked. She said it showed the child standing outside his classroom, and a man standing about three feet away from him before approaching and escorting the child outside the school gate.

McPherson added that on the same day of the incident, she had a conversation with a female visitor, allegedly Regisford, in her office. She described the woman as having tattoos on her body.

Jessica Young testified that shortly after 3 p.m. on May 3, she rented a beige Toyota Camry motorcar for two days to Tomlinson and a second man, whom she identified as Mitchell.

Meanwhile, Mitchell's cousin Arlene Mitchell testified that about 9 p.m. on May 3, she went to her home in Baillieston, Clarendon, and found a "baby" in her young daughter's company.

"When I went there, I saw my daughter with a baby. I don't know how he came to be at my house," stated Mitchell.

She also told the court that she gave no permission for any baby to be at her house.

Mitchell's preteen daughter testified that she was at home shortly after 4 p.m. when a car drove into the yard. She said the defendant, Mitchell, came out and gave her the baby to keep until he returned.

During the previous court hearing on April 5, three witnesses, including the child's father, the school's security guard, and the boy's teacher, gave evidence. A total of 19 witnesses are expected to testify for the prosecution.