Fri | Sep 17, 2021

Cop's death under probe

Published:Tuesday | May 29, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Livern Barrett, Gleaner Writer

MIT to look into mysterious illness of senior policeman

The Major Investigation Task Force (MIT) is now probing the circumstances surrounding the death of former head of the Clarendon police, Senior Superintendent Dathan Henry.

The disclosure by Deputy Commissioner of Police Glenmore Hinds yesterday came amid fears that Henry might have been poisoned.

Hinds avoided questions about whether Henry might have been poisoned, but said based on the postmortem report, the cause of death was "inconclusive".

"As a consequence, and he being a senior member (of the JCF), we have asked the MIT to do some enquiries," he told The Gleaner.

"We are doing a thorough examination through forensic science and other things to have a conclusion to the death," added Hinds.

The deputy commissioner said there was no timetable for the MIT to wrap up its probe, but noted that when it is completed, "they will certainly determine where exactly to point the investigation".

Henry died at the Kingston Public Hospital (KPH) on May 6 after a brief illness.

He had served the Jamaica Constabulary Force for 27 years.

Yesterday, Roxan Henry, Henry's younger brother, revealed that doctors at the KPH had also informed the family that the postmortem was inconclusive.

As a result, he said doctors have taken tissue samples from his brother's body that will be used to do toxicology tests locally and overseas.

Roxan Henry said he was at his brother's bedside for four days before his death, watching his condition deteriorate.

"Me think it was the flu cause him say him feel him power a go dung ... like when somebody a ketch the flu," he explained.

He said his brother was hospitalised on May 1 and underwent a series of tests.

"When me go back the Wednesday (May 2), him say him fi come out Thursday. But when him eat di food, him say him stomach feel like it a tear up," Roxan Henry recalled.

He said Henry was rushed to the KPH on Friday May 5, accompanied by another brother, but by then, his condition had worsened.

"Him (his other brother) call me inna di evening an' say, 'The condition wha him inna, it no look like him a go mek it cause him nah talk an him a blow short'," Roxan Henry recalled.

Henry was buried on Sunday after a thanksgiving service in Moneague, St Ann.