Sun | Jun 20, 2021

Don't sell your property yet!

Published:Tuesday | June 5, 2012 | 12:00 AM
Deidre S. Powell

Dear Miss Powell,

I have seen your responses to queries in The Gleaner and thought I'd seek your help. My family and I are hoping to migrate to Canada. I am in the process of selling my property to facilitate this process. My wife and I also want to further our studies. We have two toddlers and would love if all of us could migrate at the same time. We really want to dispose of our property as soon as possible, so we will be ready to have enough money to show the embassy we are able to settle in Canada. Any advice?

- C.D

Dear C.D.,

Do not sell your property based on a mere hope of moving to Canada! I have so many questions! Have you already submitted an application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)? Under what category have you submitted your application? Have you received a response? Have you done a medical? Do you have a police record for yourself and your wife? Have you arranged employment in Canada? Is a family member sponsoring you? Are you sure you will satisfy the requirements to actually immigrate to Canada?

From the information you submitted, it would appear you have not even started the application process, but merely thinking and hoping to go to Canada.

Once again, I implore you - do not sell your property until you have concrete information on whether you have been approved. CIC will evaluate your ability to settle in Canada not solely based on the amount of cash you have in the bank, but will also examine such factors as your education, skills, experience, age and assets you currently have. Furthermore, if you have arranged employment, or a family member is sponsoring you, you will not even have to worry about the minimum amount of funds you need to have.

You indicated there are four of you in your immediate family. If you apply under the skilled-worker category, the amount of money you will need, as of today's date is CDN$20,654. This figure changes from time to time, so you will need to check this information when it is time to submit your financial information. In the meantime, I would recommend you continue to save your money and leave the sale of your house until after you have your temporary-resident permit in hand.

Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars, with main office located in Ottawa, Ontario. Her areas of practice are in immigration, real estate, personal injury, family and administration of estates. She is on the roster of mediators for Ottawa, Toronto and the Dispute Resolution Foundation of Jamaica. Email: Subject line: Immigration