Mon | Jun 21, 2021

Livity back behind bars

Published:Wednesday | June 13, 2012 | 12:00 AM

ONE MONTH after being acquitted of gun-related charges in the Supreme Court, Leighton 'Livity' Coke, the brother of convicted gangster Christopher 'Dudus' Coke, was yesterday arrested by detectives attached to the Major Investigation Task Force.

"He is being interrogated in relation to murders committed in the west Kingston area," a high-ranking member of the Criminal Investigation Branch told The Gleaner last night.

The Gleaner was also told that Coke is being interrogated in relation to conspiracy to murder among other crimes.

Not guilty

In March, Justice David Fraser, after reviewing the evidence for three days, ruled that Coke was not guilty of shooting with intent and illegal possession of firearm.

Coke, who was beaten up by soldiers while he was detained at the Horizon Adult Remand Centre, was charged arising from the unrest in west Kingston in May 2010.

He was arrested, without bail in July 2010 and was only released when Justice Fraser said he could not rely on the identification evidence adduced by the Crown.

Three policemen had testified in the Gun Court that between 11:30 a.m. and midday on May 24, 2010 they were near the railway line in west Kingston when they were fired on by men - including the accused Coke - who were on McKenzie Drive near to Rasta City in Tivoli Gardens. They said the men were about 30 feet from them at the time of the shooting.

Expert witnesses

The defence called two expert witnesses, one of whom was a land surveyor, who said he took measurements and prepared a map of the area. He said the distance in relation to the alleged shooting incident was 300 feet and not 30 feet as the policemen testified. The map was tendered in evidence.

An ophthalmologist testified that it would be difficult and challenging for a person using the naked eye to identify someone beyond a distance of 120 feet.

The judge found that the prosecution did not prove identification in light of the expert witnesses called by the defence. The judge said the police came under heavy gunfire and he believed it would affect their ability to identify Coke.